Canada’s embassy in Kabul has suspended all meetings at Afghan ministries as violent protests over last week’s Koran burnings continue to spread across Afghanistan. All Canadian staff — including diplomats, police, and Canadian Forces trainers and advisers — are safe and accounted for, said Yohan Rodericks, a spokesman for the Department of Foreign Affairs. “We issued our normal security protocol and everyone is staying put at their locations,” Rodericks said. The suspension of meetings is a temporary measure, Rodericks said, and the government of Canada continues to monitor the situation closely. Two U.S. officers were killed at the Afghanistan interior ministry on Saturday — a move which led NATO to pull all its advisers out of government ministries — and on Sunday seven more U.S. officers were injured in a grenade attack on their base. The protests have killed 30 people and wounded 200. More than 900 Canadian military advisers are scattered across more than a dozen bases in Kabul and western Afghanistan. On Thursday, Foreign Affairs advised Canadians to avoid all travel to Afghanistan as “the security situation remains extremely volatile and unpredictable.”
Your exclusive news aggregator handpicked daily!