Archive for North America
The federal government has temporarily barred several embassies and high commissions from employing new domestic staff after evidence that workers were being exploited, documents reveal. Foreign affairs staff are raising a red flag about the treatment of servants behind closed diplomatic doors in Ottawa and across the country after finding “workplace abuses and extensive labour rights violations.” “Cases of domestic servitude in diplomatic households and all forms of labour exploitation of accredited domestic workers remain a challenge,” read a 2013 foreign affairs department report. In at least two cases, Ottawa police officers are looking at possible criminal charges after domestic workers in diplomatic residences made allegations of labour exploitation. That same report reveals that five embassies and high commissions were all banned earlier this year from hiring new domestic workers and that several were repeat offenders, cited for “continued, consistent and serious breaches of Canadian policy.” In one case, diplomats of an unnamed country held nine domestic workers in “involuntary servitude” and committed illegal workplace practices, such as withholding wages, according to a December 2013 report, obtained by the Star under Access to Information. Foreign affairs officials reacted by barring that country’s diplomats from employing new domestic workers, apparently the second such ban in as many years for the embassy. Foreign affairs reports reveal that in at least two cases, Ottawa police are looking at possible criminal charges The names of the embassies and high commissions involved were censored in the reports provided to the Star. However, Montreal newspaper La Presse, which previously reported on concerns of abuse, said the allegations involved countries in Africa, Asia and the Middle East. According to a 2012 report by the foreign affairs department, there were 129 private servants working for foreign representatives in Canada. At the time, Saudi Arabia had the most, with a dozen private servants in diplomatic households.
President Obama nominated yet another bundler for an excellent ambassadorship, one in beautiful Costa Rica, land of wonderful beaches, volcanoes, tropical forests, zip-lining, exotic fauna and flora, lovely people and no army. The pick? Stafford Fitzgerald Haney, who’s head of business development and client service at Pzena Investment Management. Haney could be described — according to a New York Times tally — not as a mega-bundler but more a mini-bundler, raising only $35,800 in the last campaign (through September 2012) and just under a piddling $200,000 since 2007. It’s pretty safe to assume, from his résumé, that Haney speaks some Spanish, since he worked for much of the ’90s for U.S. companies in Puerto Rico and as a company marketing manager for Mexico and Central America — which may have even taken him to Costa Rica. He also got undergrad and masters degrees from Georgetown’s School of Foreign Service.
The US embassy in Tel Aviv has minimized its hours and avised staff to stay at home until further notice due to recent rocket fire there, according to a statement released Tuesday night. “As a result of the July 8 rocket attacks on Tel Aviv and the potential for further attacks, [the] U.S. Embassy Tel Aviv will operate at minimal staffing until further notice,” the statement said. “The Chief of Mission personnel will not be allowed to travel south of Tel Aviv without prior approval,” it continued. “Embassy families living in Tel Aviv are being advised to remain at home and in close contact with one another.” The Embassy further advised US citizens to keep a close eye on updates on the Home Front Command’s English website and to be familiar with current events. Earlier Wednesday morning, sirens sounded in Tel Aviv and across the Gush Dan area. At least five rockets were shot down over the city by the Iron Dome missile defense system. The US strongly condemned the rocket fire late Tuesday, and expressed support for Israel’s right to self-defense.
Bahrain has expelled a high-ranking American diplomat, accusing him of meddling in the Persian Gulf kingdom’s internal affairs. Tom Malinowski, US Assistant Secretary of State for Democracy, Human Rights and Labor, arrived in Bahrain on Sunday and met with members of Bahrain’s main opposition bloc al-Wefaq. The Foreign Ministry of Bahrain said in a statement published by the official BNA state news agency that Malinowski “held meetings with a particular party to the detriment of other interlocutors, thus discriminating between one people, contravening diplomatic norms and flouting normal interstate relations.” The statement added that Malinowski “is unwelcome and should immediately leave the country, due to his interference in its internal affairs.” Meanwhile, US State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said Malinowski “is on a visit to reaffirm and strengthen our bilateral ties and to support his royal majesty King Hamad’s reform and reconciliation efforts at an important time, particularly given events elsewhere in the region.” Bahrain hosts the headquarters of the US Navy’s Fifth Fleet, where thousands of US military personnel are based. Since mid-February 2011, thousands of pro-democracy protesters have staged numerous demonstrations in the streets of Bahrain, calling for the Al Khalifa royal family to relinquish power.
All 294 U.S. embassies around the world are on heightened alert due to threats from the Islamic State (ISIS) terrorist organization that tweeted their intentions of bombing U.S. embassies if the U.S. decides to attack Iraq. Some of the statements by the Islamic State (ISIS) said, “If the United States bomb Iraq, every American citizen is a legitimate target for us. Every American doctor working in any country will be slaughtered if America attack Iraq. If America attacks Iraq; every American embassy in the world will be exposed and attacked with car bombs.” While the tweets originally came from the Twitter account, @ansaar999, it appears the Islamic terrorists changed their name or now may be using @ANS_IS999 due to the amount of anti-western rhetoric being posted.
A prominent member of Iraq’s Parliamentary Committee on Defense Affairs says the government must take all necessary measures to shut down the US embassy in Baghdad. The comments by Iskandar Watoot come after US failed to meet its obligations in the case of Iraq security. The veteran Iraqi politician also criticized Washington for delaying the delivery of US F-16 jets purchased by Baghdad. Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has said the al-Qaeda-linked militants’ advance could have been avoided if US jets had been delivered on time. Iraqi politicians have also accused Washington of trying to justify its stance on Iraq by describing the crisis there as sectarian.
All 294 US diplomatic outposts are on high alert after the terror threats were posted online by rebels. One ISIS post said: “If America attacks Iraq every American embassy in the world will be exposed and attacked with car bombs.” Another vowed: “If the United States bomb Iraq, every American citizen is a legitimate target.” The terrorists said that companies in Arab countries employing US citizens would also be targeted, after threatening to “slaughter” US doctors around the world. The messages came amid a US government fightback on Twitter against ISIS militants who urged followers to tweet threats. The @ansaar999 account, which appears to have links with the rebel group, tweeted its 23,400 followers, telling them to post anti-US messages in English. The messages, sent to politicians and celebrities including Oprah Winfrey, contained images of dead US soldiers, the 9/11 attacks and masked ISIS fighters.
A man and his family were in for a shock when they were taken to a police station and questioned for more than four hours for clicking a photograph of the US embassy on Friday morning. The family was made to wait at the police station for being questioned by sleuths from intelligence agencies. Rama Rao, an engineer based in Dallas, told TOI that he was on a two-day visit to the capital following which he was scheduled to leave for a trip to northern India. On Friday, he, along with his wife, son and daughter, had gone to see Qutab Minar after having lunch at Connaught Place. “On the way, I stopped near the US embassy in Chanakyapuri and decided to take a photograph of the embassy building since it was July 4, the US Independence Day. I wanted to show the photograph of the decorations to a friend in Dallas,” Rao said. He said that, after he took two snaps sitting in the car, he saw two security men from the embassy running towards him. “They asked me to stop taking photographs and told me it was prohibited. I promised them I would delete the photos immediately and did so, but the security present there asked me to show my passport and accompany them to the police station,” he said. The family added that police seized all their passports and overseas Indian resident cards and asked them to wait for questioning. He added that the ordeal went on for a few hours since the policemen did not have the contact numbers of the intelligence officials who would interrogate them. They were let off after the sleuths were satisfied with the answers. Police said the family was questioned as a part of standard protocol since photography is not permitted anywhere around embassies. No case was registered.
Germany summoned the U.S. ambassador after allegations of American spying erupted anew, threatening to further damage one of Washington’s most important alliances. The German federal prosecutor announced that a 31-year-old German was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of working for foreign intelligence agencies. The arrested man was an employee of the German foreign-intelligence agency, known as the BND. The worker initially raised suspicions because he apparently tried to contact Russian spies, but then told investigators he had been passing information to U.S. intelligence. Deputy Foreign Minister Stephan Steinlein urged U.S. Ambassador John B. Emerson in their Fourth of July meeting to help clear up the matter quickly, a ministry statement said. U.S. officials in Washington and Berlin declined to comment. Ties between the U.S. and Germany are still strained after last year’s revelations of National Security Agency activities and U.S. monitoring of Ms. Merkel’s cellphone. The leaks by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden struck a particular nerve in a country acutely sensitive to domestic spying because of its history with Communist and Nazi mass surveillance.
A day after the announcement of heightened security measures on United States-bound flights, the American Embassy in Uganda said it had been warned of a “specific threat” of attack to the country’s main airport and said travelers “may want to review their plans.” The warning was one of several recent alarms in restive East Africa, where governments have sought to counter threats, particularly those by the Shabab militant movement based in Somalia. The embassy did not specify what the threat entailed, but said it had received information from the Uganda Police Force that, according to intelligence sources, “there is a specific threat to Entebbe International Airport,” which serves the capital, Kampala, 25 miles away. The warning, in a statement on the embassy’s website, said the attack could take place between 9 p.m. and 11 p.m. on Thursday. That period elapsed without any reported incident. “U.S. Embassy Kampala wishes to remind U.S. citizens of the continued threat of potential terrorist attacks in the country,” the statement said. “The targets for these attacks could include hotels, restaurants, nightclubs, shopping malls, diplomatic missions, transportation hubs, religious institutions, government offices or public transportation.”