Mexico’s ambassador to Egypt, Jorge Alvarez, said six Mexicans who survived the incident were in stable condition. Alvarez said the survivors he visited in hospital had told him they had been bombed by helicopters and an aircraft while they stopped for a break in the desert. The tourists had arrived in Egypt on Sept. 11. Alvarez added that the government was still seeking information about six other Mexicans of the 14-strong group still unaccounted for. Alvarez identified the two dead as Luis Barajas Fernandez and Maria de Lourdes Fernandez Rubio. Egyptian Army aircraft hunting for militants in the desert mistakenly bombed a convoy of mostly Mexican tourists, killing 12 people and wounding 10. Survivors said their group was bombed from a plane and helicopters. As members of the tourist convoy tried to flee, additional forces on the ground fired on them, Egyptian security sources said.
Your exclusive news aggregator handpicked daily!