Qatar and Kuwait on Wednesday became the latest Gulf states to urge their citizens to leave Lebanon due to tensions over the pro-Iranian Lebanese Shiite militia Hezbollah which backs the Damascus regime. Doha’s foreign ministry, in a statement on the official Qatar News Agency (QNA), called on citizens in Lebanon to “leave for their own safety” and said no Qatari nationals should travel there. Earlier on Wednesday, in a statement cited by the official KUNA news agency, the Kuwaiti embassy in Beirut also advised Kuwaitis to postpone any planned travel to Lebanon. The mission said all citizens should leave “except in extreme circumstances,” and advised those who stay to exercise caution and avoid unspecified, unsafe areas. Qatar and Kuwait join Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain in issuing travel warnings for Lebanon.
Your exclusive news aggregator handpicked daily!
Newsline: Qatar, Kuwait embassies urge citizens to leave Lebanon