An inspector general’s report has found that two buildings at the U.S. embassy in Afghanistan are emitting possibly deadly levels of electrical current. The Department of State OIG report looks at problems with the power systems at an office annex and a staff residential building at the Kabul facility. Electricians examining the buildings—which cost nearly $800 million to build—found that the New Office Annex was almost seven amps above the level in which an electrical shock could cause death, but the Staff Diplomatic Apartment was almost three times that level. The office building opened in July 2015, can accommodate more than 900 personnel, while the residential building houses nearly 300 residents and opened in February.
Your exclusive news aggregator handpicked daily!
Newsline: Report finds $800M US embassy buildings in Afghanistan could electrocute personnel