The U.S. ambassador to the U.N. is disputing accounts that the U.S. Embassy remained idle while South Sudanese forces last month allegedly raped, beat and robbed people in a residential complex home to foreign aid workers, including Americans. U.S. Ambassador Samantha Power said the U.S. Embassy in Juba, the beleaguered capital of South Sudan, did in fact respond to distress calls from the compound and “urgently contacted South Sudanese government officials, who sent a response force to the site to stop the attack.” Witnesses have accused other embassies and the U.N.’s peacekeeping force of failing to come to their aid amid the July 11 attack on the Terrain Hotel Complex. “We are deeply concerned that United Nations peacekeepers were apparently either incapable of or unwilling to respond to calls for help,” Power said in a statement. She added that the U.S. is demanding the U.N. to take “swift corrective action” if the allegations against its peacekeepers is found to be true. The U.N. is investigating the claims. The four-hour assault was brought to light in an Associated Press report Monday, in which several witnesses recounted the rampage by South Sudanese soldiers and lack of response.
Your exclusive news aggregator handpicked daily!
Newsline: U.S. Embassy Says It Responded to Brutal Attack on Foreigners in South Sudan