Diplomatic Briefing

Your exclusive news aggregator handpicked daily!

Archive for South Sudan

Newsline: US Embassy Official Summoned by South Sudan on Sanctions Move

South Sudan said it summoned the U.S. Embassy’s charge d’affaires to protest last week’s declaration of sanctions on three current and former officials in President Salva Kiir’s government accused of destabilizing the war-torn African nation. The U.S. Treasury on Sept. 6 said it was blacklisting South Sudan’s army deputy chief of staff, Malek Reuben Riak, Information Minister Michael Makuei Lueth and Paul Malong, an ex-army head dismissed by Kiir in May. Singling out three government figures and ignoring the armed opposition “sends a wrong signal,” Bak Valentino Akol Wol, under-secretary at the Foreign Ministry, told reporters Monday in the capital, Juba. “It suggests that fairness is not being seen to be done.” South Sudan erupted into civil war in 2013, just two years after declaring its independence from the north. The ongoing conflict has left tens of thousands of people dead and created a humanitarian crisis as more than 3.5 million people fled their homes. A U.S. Embassy spokesman said there’d been a meeting with the Foreign Ministry but further details weren’t available.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-11/u-s-embassy-official-summoned-by-south-sudan-on-sanctions-move

Advertisements

Newsline: South Sudan’s diplomat stripped of cash at Cairo airport

South Sudan’s Deputy Ambassador to Nigeria, who was denied leaving Cairo with thousands of U.S dollars on him has finally left Egypt bound for Abuja without some of the money.Mawien Makol, an official of the Foreign Affairs ministry told journalists that Deputy Ambassador, Riek Puok was carrying with him nearly $17,000 in cash while boarding a flight at the Cairo International Airport bound for Nigeria on Sunday when he was stopped at the foot of the aircraft. He said the authorities in Cairo refused to allow the diplomat to leave with the cash given that Egyptian travel regulations prohibit travelers from carrying more than $10,000.

http://journalducameroun.com/en/ssudanese-diplomat-stripped-of-cash-at-cairo-airport/

Newsline: Kenyan court orders arrest of military attaché at South Sudan embassy in Nairobi

A High Court in Kenya has issued a warrant of arrest against a military attaché at South Sudan Embassy in Kenya after a case of mysterious disappearance of two South Sudanese opposition officials in Nairobi recently. The court had issued a warrant of arrest against a South Sudanese military attaché based in Kenya to appear in court to give an account of the disappearance of the two opposition officials. “So, based on the information obtained by the Kenyan authorities, the court decided to issue a warrant of arrest against a South Sudanese national who is a military attaché at the South Sudanese embassy in Nairobi here, he was linked to the kidnapping of Aggrey Idri and Dong Samuel,” he said. Pouk declined to identify the military attaché summoned by the Kenyan court.

https://radiotamazuj.org/en/article/kenyan-court-orders-arrest-military-attach%C3%A9-s-sudan-embassy-nairobi

Newsline: Canada to open embassy in South Sudan

The federal government will open a new embassy in South Sudan in a sign that Ottawa plans to take a bigger role in the conflict-torn African state. Canada’s former head of office in Juba, Nicholas Coghlan, will become the new ambassador. Previously, Canada had only a diplomatic office in the country and was officially represented by the Canadian ambassador to Kenya. The status of Canada’s embassy in Khartoum, the capital of neighbouring Sudan, has not changed. Canada officially named South Sudan one of its top 25 development priorities when it revamped the list last spring. Sudan was also removed from the list at that time, a formal acknowledgement that Canada’s interests in the region lay in the southern, breakaway state.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/canada-to-open-embassy-in-south-sudan/article20803671/

Newsline: Khartoum summons US, South Sudan diplomats

Sudan’s foreign ministry has summoned the ambassadors of the United States and South Sudan following an attempt by a Christian woman formerly accused of apostasy to fly out of the country using travel documents issued by the embassy of South Sudan in Khartoum. Meriam Ibrahim was sentenced to death last month for renouncing Islam, but was released on Monday after what the government said was “unprecedented” international pressure. An appeals court found Ibrahim not guilty on two charges of apostasy and adultery and overturned the lower tribunal’s verdict. However, the 27-year-old was taken into custody by National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS) officers at Khartoum airport on Tuesday along with her husband and two children, for trying to use documents issued by the embassy of South Sudan to fly out of Khartoum. South Sudan’s deputy ambassador to Khartoum, Kowner Mageer, acknowledged at a meeting with the foreign ministry’s deputy head of the department of bilateral relations, Mahmoud Hassan al-Amin, that his embassy issued the travel document used by Ibrahim in order to facilitate her departure. According to the sources, al-Amin told Mageer that his embassy’s intervention in the incident was inconsistent with the positive developments in relationship between the two countries and the spirit of cooperation between them. The same sources also said that al-Amin expressed to the US charge d’affaires in Khartoum, Jerry Lanier, Khartoum’s outrage and condemnation of Washington’s attempt to facilitate departure of Ibrahim, considering the move a violation to the Sudanese immigration regulations and a sign of contempt to Sudanese laws. The foreign ministry spokesperson, Abu Bakr al-Sideeg, said in press statements that his ministry conveyed to the South Sudanese deputy ambassador Khartoum’s protest against issuing a temporary travel document for Ibrahim, underscoring that Ibrahim is not a citizen of South Sudan.

http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?article51475

Newsline: South Sudan Says Top Diplomat’s Resignation Motivated By “Personal Interest”

South Sudan has denied mistreating its former ambassador to the United Nations, Francis George Nazario, claiming the latter’s resignation was out of “personal interest”. The government was reacting to issues raised in Nazario’s resignation letter in which he accused the country’s leadership of failing its citizens by not doing enough to stem ongoing conflict in the country, saying the system had become intolerable for critical voices. Earlier this week Nazario confirmed his resignation and said he had since left the country “because I don’t want to part of what is happening”, describing the situation as “unbearable”. Information and broadcasting minister Michael Makuei Lueth told reporters on Friday that Nazario had become aggrieved after the government recalled him from his position over decisions it felt went against the best interests of the country. His recall came after he voted in favour of a 2012 resolution, which supported self-determination for a Palestinian state at the United Nations Security Council (UNSC).

http://allafrica.com/stories/201406070036.html

Newsline: Top South Sudan Diplomat Quits, Flees Country

A senior official in South Sudan’s foreign ministry, Francis Nazario, has quit the government and fled the country to protest the ongoing conflict in South Sudan, which he says has claimed more than 10,000 lives in Juba alone. In a telephone interview with South Sudan in Focus, Nazario said security forces in the South Sudanese capital regularly harass, beat and even kill citizens, including high-ranking government officials. “Since the beginning of the war on December 15, have you heard any of the opposition talking? The government is deliberately preventing media houses talking to the opposition,” Nazario said, accusing the authorities of trying to control the message in South Sudan. “I don’t want to be part of what’s happening,” he said. Officials at the foreign affairs ministry in Juba declined to comment on Nazario’s departure and accusations. Nazario has served as permanent representative for South Sudan to the United Nations and as head of mission in Belgium and the European Union. He is the latest official to quit the government and flee the country.

http://www.voanews.com/content/top-south-sudan-official-quits-flees-country/1929557.html