Diplomatic Briefing

Your exclusive news aggregator handpicked daily!

Archive for Saudi Arabia

Newsline: Saudi government allegedly funded a ‘dry run’ for 9/11

Fresh evidence submitted in a major 9/11 lawsuit moving forward against the Saudi Arabian government reveals its embassy in Washington may have funded a “dry run” for the hijackings carried out by two Saudi employees, further reinforcing the claim employees and agents of the kingdom directed and aided the 9/11 hijackers and plotters. Two years before the airliner attacks, the Saudi Embassy paid for two Saudi nationals, living undercover in the US as students, to fly from Phoenix to Washington “in a dry run for the 9/11 attacks,” alleges the amended complaint filed on behalf of the families of some 1,400 victims who died in the terrorist attacks 16 years ago. The court filing provides new details that paint “a pattern of both financial and operational support” for the 9/11 conspiracy from official Saudi sources, lawyers for the plaintiffs say. In fact, the Saudi government may have been involved in underwriting the attacks from the earliest stages — including testing cockpit security. Lawyers representing Saudi Arabia last month filed a motion to dismiss the lawsuit, which may finally be headed toward trial now that Congress has cleared diplomatic-immunity hurdles. A Manhattan federal judge has asked the 9/11 plaintiffs, represented by lead law firm Cozen O’Connor, to respond to the motion by November.

http://nypost.com/2017/09/09/saudi-government-allegedly-funded-a-dry-run-for-911/

Advertisements

Newsline: Sexy thief robbed Saudi diplomat in New York

A Saudi diplomat was robbed of his $30,000 watch and other bling by a hot date he brought home from celebrity hangout 1 Oak in New York — and he’s just the latest victim in a series of similar scams, police sources told The Post. Consular attaché Sultan Khayat, 32, told cops the woman swiped a $30,000 Gerald Genta watch, a $12,000 Rolex, $2,500 in cash and his credit card Monday before running off from the swanky Midtown pad with the loot. And she’s the second sexy swindler to shake down a hook-up recently from 1 Oak — just last week, police released footage of a woman who they say stole a $50,000 Rolex and $20,000 worth of gold jewelry from a guy she picked up at the club in June. In the latest, incident, Khayat brought his “date” back to his East 53rd Street pad from 1 Oak — a magnet for celebs such as Justin Bieber and Jay-Z — around 7 a.m. Monday, cops said. The woman then split with his valuables and made $400 in charges on his American Express card, police said.

http://nypost.com/2017/08/08/sexy-thief-robbed-saudi-diplomat-after-they-left-1oak/

Newsline: Saudi Arabia’s Nairobi embassy in lease dispute

Real estate firm Plumcon East Africa has sued the Saudi Arabian embassy for backing out of a deal that was to see it lease seven high end apartments in Nairobi’s Arboretum area. Plumcon says it made specific repairs to the seven apartments in 2012 at the request of the Saudi Arabian Embassy which afterwards refused to take up the housing units. The firm now wants Justice Thuranira to order the embassy to pay it damages in an amount that the court shall deem fair for the loss of business. The Saudi Arabian embassy was to pay Sh17.7 million yearly for the seven apartments before it terminated the agreement. The Saudi Arabian embassy however says Plumcon delayed in completing the requested fittings in the apartments. The embassy says its staff were to occupy the apartments on November 26, 2011 but that the units were far from ready by then. Plumcon however insists that it finished all repairs early enough and attempted to hand over the keys to the Saudi Arabian embassy on November 24, 2011. The embassy however refused to accept the keys and terminated the lease agreement, the firm says. Saudi Arabia’s embassy has now filed an application to dismiss the suit, arguing that it enjoys diplomatic immunity hence cannot be sued.

http://www.nation.co.ke/business/Saudi-Arabia-embassy-lease-dispute/996-4014626-i4ylkq/index.html

Newsline: Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain and Egypt break diplomatic ties with Qatar

Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Egypt on Monday broke diplomatic relations and all land sea and air contacts with fellow Gulf Arab state Qatar, accusing it of supporting “terrorism and extremism”. Saudi Arabia’s state news agency said the kingdom had decided to sever diplomatic and consular relations with Qatar “proceeding from the exercise of its sovereign right guaranteed by international law and the protection of national security from the dangers of terrorism and extremism”. It urged “all brotherly countries and companies to do the same.”

http://www.trtworld.com/mea/saudi-arabia-uae-bahrain-and-egypt-break-ties-with-qatar-372298

Newsline: Saudi King Appoints Son as Country’s Ambassador to US

Saudi Arabia’s King Salman has appointed his son, Prince Khaled bin Salman, as the country’s ambassador to the US, in a move said to point to strengthening ties to President Donald Trump. Prince Khaled is an Air Force pilot who has taken part in operations in Yemen and against ISIS, AP reports. The prince, who studied military aviation in the US and briefly attended both Harvard University and Georgetown, has been working as an adviser at the Saudi Arabian Embassy in Washington since last year. Khaled’s position will allow Trump a direct line to the Saudi monarchy, further signalling warmer relations between the two powers after a cooling following the Obama administration’s nuclear agreement with regional rival Iran.

https://www.rt.com/news/385886-saudi-ambassador-pilot-isis/

Newsline: Saudi Embassy Confirms UK Attacker Had Been in Saudi Arabia

The man who killed four people outside Britain’s Parliament was in Saudi Arabia three times and taught English there, the Middle Eastern country’s embassy said. A Saudi Embassy statement released late Friday said that Khalid Masood taught English in Saudi Arabia from November 2005 to November 2006 and again from April 2008 to April 2009. The embassy said that he had a work visa. It said he returned for six days in March 2015 on a trip booked through an approved travel agent. The Saudi Embassy said that he wasn’t tracked by the country’s security services and didn’t have a criminal record there.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2017-03-25/saudi-embassy-confirms-uk-attacker-had-been-in-saudi-arabia

Newsline: Guinean diplomat found dead in Saudi Arabia

Five African people, suspected of killing a Guinean diplomat in Jeddah, were arrested pending investigation. The victim who worked as a financial director at his country’s consulate was found dead in his flat, reported Al Marsad. The killers confessed to murdering the Guinean official and stealing the sum of $324,900 from his flat, said Mecca Police media spokesman. They were referred to the Bureau of Investigation and Public Prosecution to face charges and stand trial.

http://www.gdnonline.com/Details/149950/Guinean-diplomat-found-dead-in-Jeddah,-killers-arrested